Too Passive For My Own Good

I am the first to admit that it takes A LOT to get me mad. I don't hold grudges and usually let stuff go pretty quickly. I have realized that I'm too passive with acquaintances. I really need to start telling these people how I feel more. I did have a few toxic friends in the past that made me feel really bad and treated me like crap and I would always be understanding because they were going through a rough time. This response just made them act even worse which I don't get. Like how do you not have the self awareness to know that you are being unnecessarily mean to another person for no reason.

All the super close people in my life give me no problems at all, maybe minor annoyances here and there, but that's normal. There has been no major disrespectful moments or complete disregard for my feelings. A lot of people meet me and understand that I'm really nice and would do anything for anyone, but say they wouldn't want to be on my bad side. They would even comment they knew it would take a lot to get there, and I would agree with them.

I honestly think all of this pushing down comes from a period of my life when I was younger when my family fought a lot. I was always the peacekeeper and super understanding, so everyone had their feelings voiced but me. While it's great that I don't lash out at other people, I can't continue to be so passive with casual friends and acquaintances when they are being really inappropriate and just plain downright nasty towards me.

It's important to be the bigger person, but I'm realizing that I can be way too chill. I'm now understanding that you need to have boundaries in regards to being a bigger person. So instead of pushing down my feelings and spending a night looking like Drake and listening to The Worst by Jhene Aiko and borderline crying while eating a sandwich, Ima talk to the person and politely call them out. No need to yell because that's not my style, but they need to know how I feel. I am no longer willing to let acquaintances or casual friends act any kind of way like they have no home training and spend a day nursing my wounds when what they did was royally uncool. Yay for personal growth! Please don't let anyone do that to you. Your feelings matter :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy I found your blog :-). It's nice to catch up with you virtually.

    I wanted to leave a note to say this line: "So instead of pushing down my feelings and spending a night looking like Drake" had me dying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmi!!!!! How have you been? I need to come visit you all :)


    I'm glad you're enjoying my blog^^ I hope everything's been awesome for you!

    ReplyDelete